Depression can be treated with counseling, medicine or both. It’s also important to take good care of one’s self, to exercise regularly and to eat healthy foods. See the health tips below. Counseling alone may help if the depression isn’t severe and is mild or moderate stage.
Antidepressant medicines are very effective in treating depression. There are many different kinds of antidepressants in the market but don’t self-medicate yourself. Your doctor will decide which one is right for you. Medicine alone or medicine with counseling can often help most women who have depression.
Some Dos And Don’ts in Depression
• Don’t isolate yourself from family and near ones. Stay in touch with your loved ones and friends, your religious advisor , meditation expert and your family doctor.
• Don’t make major life decisions (for example, about separation or divorce, leaving a career etc). You may not be thinking clearly about them when you are depressed, so the decisions you make at this time may not be the best ones for you.
• Don’t blame yourself for your depression and its causes. You didn’t cause it.
• Don’t be discouraged about not feeling well right away. Be patient with yourself. Don’t be hard on yourself.
• Don’t give up. Keep trying to make the circumstances better.
• Do exercise often to make yourself feel better about yourself and release negative energy from your mind and body . Exercise will also give you more strength and positive energy.
• Do eat balanced meals and healthy food. Include less spicy food in your diet to avoid acidity and heart burns. Alternate them with fruits and salads.
• Do get enough sleep. Sleep at your regular time and wake up at the fixed time. DO not stay awake unnecessarily. Whenever you feel sleepy or tired, just go to sleep.
• Do take your medicine and/or go to counseling as often as your doctor tells you to. Your medicine won’t work if you only take it once in a while.
• Do set small goals for yourself, because you may have less energy. Make a list of things you have to do. Take some time out for leisure like shopping, meeting a near and dear one or getting dressed up in your favourite clothes.
• Do encourage yourself. When you complete a task or do well, treat yourself with something small but new or take your favourite food or drink.
• Do get as much information as you can about depression and how to treat it. Act upon the instructions for improvement.
• Do call your doctor or the someone close to you right away if you start thinking about suicide.